TWP - Our Story: Maynooth Third World Partnership
The Third World Partnership (TWP) was established by the Parish of Our Lady Mother of the Church Maynooth in 2008, with the aim of establishing a supportive link between our parish and a third world parish. The TWP is partnered with the parish of Metcha Borodo in Ethiopia, which is situated 50 miles west of Addis Ababa. We aim to develop sustainable spiritual and cultural links that will be of mutual benefit to both parishes. Our mission is to help our partners by enabling and empowering local people, so that they have the tools, training, and the necessary supports to break the cycle of poverty and need.
Since the TWP was established in 2008, it has accomplished a significant number of achievements, through funding the following:
- Sponsorship of 185 students to go to school each year since 2008, by funding their school fees, uniforms, books, medical and hygiene needs, food and other relevant materials. These are students whose families would otherwise be unable to afford their schooling.
- Re-building 6 new classrooms – 3 in 2016 and a second 3 in 2019, in the local school where many of the classrooms were in very poor condition.
- Sponsorship of teacher training programmes during summer holidays (2010-2019), to help improve the standard of education provided.
- Equipping a Computer Laboratory in the local school in partnership with Camara, another Irish based Charity (2009)
- Restoration of the Parish Church in Metcha Borodo (2010), which was badly in need of repair
- Building 20 new homes and toilets for needy families (2009-2014)
Currently we are raising funds to build Toilets and Hand Washing Stations for the School to allow the school reopen safely after 6 months closure due to the Covid pandemic.
All monies raised by the TWP go directly to fund programmes and projects in our Partner Parish. The TWP accounts are under the control of the Parish Finance committee and are audited as part of the Parish Accounts of Our Lady Mother of the Church, Maynooth. The TWP conduct regular audit & planning visits to our partner parish of Metcha Borodo in Ethiopia to review projects funded by the TWP and conduct an audit of the accounts. To date volunteers from the TWP group have made 7 visits, at their own expense to our partners in Metcha Borodo.
The TWP core group would like to take this opportunity to thank, on behalf of our Ethiopian partners, all our supporters who have made this partnership possible and whose support has allowed us to make such a difference in the education and lives of the people in our partner parish in Ethiopia.
If you have not already done so and would like to help, please go to our Go Fund Me site at: https://ie.gofundme.com/f/ethiopia-toilets-and-covid-handwashing-stations
Or alternatively, contact a member of the TWP or e-mail the TWP at TWP@castleknockparish.ie to make a donation. Better still, make a regular contribution by standing order.